Constituent & Community Services
What You're Asking
Top Questions
How can Senator Moore help me resolve a problem with state agency?
Can you help me with a problem I'm having with a federal agency?
Where can I learn more about legislation Senator Moore has sponsored?
Where can I find directions to the Massachusetts State House?
View all Questions and Answers
Constituent Services
Issues & Legislation
Legislative Process
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Ask the Senator
Constituent Services
How can Senator Moore help me resolve a problem with state agency?

Senator Moore can help you in a variety of ways with state agencies. The Senator and his staff can make inquiries on your behalf about the status of any pending cases before any state agency (with the exception of judicial cases). We can also often offer advice about which agency would be best to handle your concerns, and help you navigate the sometimes confusing web of services offered by the state government. Unfortunately, we cannot offer legal advice or intervene in pending litigation.

How do I ask you for help?

The best way to quickly obtain assistance with casework is to visit our casework section. You may also contact us by mail, telephone or fax using the information below. When making a request, it should contain the following information: 

  • Brief explanation: Please describe the situation with which you require help as briefly and clearly as possible. The more clear and concise your explanation, the faster we can handle your case.  

  • Relevant identification numbers: Please any relevant case or file numbers, or your your social security number

  • Special notes: Due to new privacy laws, some agencies will not speak with our office without a signed release form. Some of those forms are located here.

Can you help people who live outside the Worcester and Norfolk District?

If you are not a resident of the Worcester and Norfolk District, any inquiries you send to us will be forwarded to the State Senator who represents your community. 

Can you help me with a problem I'm having with a local government agency?

Any problems you are having with local agencies - including problems with zoning laws, public housing, or local schools - should be addressed to the appropriate department in your community. 

Can you help me with a problem I'm having with a federal agency?

Any problems you are having with federal government agencies - including problems with immigration, VA, Social Security or Medicare - should be addressed to our state's representatives in Congress:

Can you help me with a legal problem I'm having?

Unfortunately, we can't. Our office is prohibited from giving legal advice or intervening in pending legal proceedings. If you need to find a lawyer, you should contact the Legal Assistance Corporation of Central Massachusetts at (800) 649-3718 or (508) 752-3718, and they can help you.

Where can I find directions to the Massachusetts State House?

We provide up-to-date directions to the State House as part of our Tours Information section. 

Issues & Legislation
Where can I learn more about legislation Senator Moore has sponsored?

To view the text and or status of the bills sponsored by Senator Moore, visit our Legislation and Committees

What is Senator Moore's position on a particular bill or issue?

Every day, we receive numerous letters, e-mails, faxes and phone calls urging Senator Moore to support or oppose a particular bill pending before the Legislature or to obtain his position on a specific issue. 

As always, constituents may contact the Senator by one of these methods to determine his stance on a bill or issue. However, in the interest of disseminating this information to as many people as possible in a quick and efficient manner, we created an Issues In Depth section. We're constantly updating this section with the senator's views and opinions on a variety of issues before the Legislature or that are making headlines across the state. We encourage you to visit the Issues In Depth section often. 

How did Senator Moore vote on a bill?

Just as the we are contacted everyday about Senator Moore's stance on issues and legislation, many constituents want to know how he voted on a particular matter before the Senate. We created a page that tracks the Senator Moore's votes on key issues. 

Legislative Process
How does the legislative process work in Massachusetts?

To many citizens, the workings of the Massachusetts Legislature may seem convoluted and overly cumbersome. However, the many steps that bills must take before they become law are in fact designed to insure the laws enacted are truly in the best interests of every citizen in Massachusetts. Below are several resources that explain how the process works. 

How do I find the text or status of a bill?

If you're looking for a bill filed by Senator Moore, you can visit our Issues & Legislation section. Here you'll find the text and status of every bill filed by the senator for the current session. The bills are group by issue, but you can use or "crosswalk" feature to search the bills by number.

If you need the text or status of a bill filed by another legislator, please use the links below:

How does the budget process work?

The drafting and debate of the state's annual budget is one of the largest and most complex responsibilities of state legislators. In fact, the process for the next Fiscal Year (which begins on July 1st) is already underway. 

The Governor submits his budget in mid-January and the legislative Ways and Means Committees hold hearings with top administration officials and other interested parties during February and March. In mid-April, the House of Representatives will unveil and debate it's own version and the Senate will follow suit in mid-May. 

After each branch has adopted it's version of the budget, a joint Senate-House Conference Committee will resolve the differences between the versions. The full Legislature will then vote to approve or disapprove a budget bill which is sent to the Governor for his approval or disapproval. 

The Governor may sign the bill or he may choose to veto line items or entire sections. The Legislature may then take up any of these vetoes and override them with a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate. 

Ask the Senator
Couldn't find the answer to your question? Click the link below to Ask the Senator.
Submit Your Question


Top :: Site Credits :: Privacy Policy & Disclaimer

Site Map :: Search :: Help